Totally Intense Right Triangles!!
For this lesson you will need:
Ski Resorts Placemark (choose one):
- New England Ski Resorts
- Canadian Rockies Ski Resorts
- Pacific West Ski Resorts
- Sierra Nevada Ski Resorts
- Colorado Ski Resorts
Scientific Calculator (free Mini-Calculator available here)
References on the Web - ThinkQuest
Triangles , Trigonometric
For a complete Video Tutorial of each step, click here
Your Job: Find the most X-TREME Ski Run!
How to find the most X-Treme Run.
- Download one of the placemarks above for the resort area you want to explore
and open it with Google Earth.
- In Google Earth, navigate to a resort area and visually inspect the runs.
Find the one you think is most X-treme!
- Find the beginning and ending elevations for the run.
- Measure the straight-line length of the run.
- Using a piece of paper or a word processing program or a draw program,
calculate the following;
Open a Drawing or Painting Program capable of exporting to .jpg format.
Draw and label a triangle with the measurements and calculations you made.
Save the drawing as a .jpg.
In Google Earth create a placemark at the starting point of the ski run.
In the placemark, insert the .jpg as an in-line image. Use the html code:
<img src="TYPE THE PATH TO THE JPG FILE HERE">
Save your placemark as a .kmz to hand in to the teacher.
In Google Earth, find a different ski resort and repeat the steps above
as time permits!
- The length of the third side of the triangle using the Pythagorian Theorum
(a2 + b2 = c2)
- The perimeter of the triangle using the formulat a+b+c
- The angle of the triangle at the bottom of the run by using the formula
(sin x2 = height of the run/length of the run)
- The angle of the triangle at the top of the run using the formula (x +
90o + the angle from the previous step = 180o)
- Be sure to show your work!!!
The Sharpest Angles, The Longest Runs, That's what makes for some X-TREME