Google Earth Lessons Forums Forum Index Google Earth Lessons Forums
The Google Earth Lessons Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BBC Planet Earth - easy to use DV clips of TV series.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Google Earth Lessons Forums Forum Index -> Great Links!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrBarrett111

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: BBC Planet Earth - easy to use DV clips of TV series. Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/planetearth/flashapp/

Although some of the video clips have been released in the the Creative Archive to download I feel that this offers a much easier way to access them.
From the page above you will see that you can either open a Planet Earth Explorer or view the clip index.
>The Planet Earth explorer uses Flash to simulate the planet and you can navigate to different continents and view various hotspots of information. These then give you access to the digital video clips from the series.

>The Clip Index is perhaps the easiest and quickest way to access this great digital content. The clips are organised under some general headings which are very helpful - Habitats, Programmes, Film Techniques, Living Organisms, Geology and Weather. It is clear which out of these is perhaps the odd ones out but it still offers a very simple drop down menu to then access various clips from the series.
When the clips open in Real Player I then choose open in standalone player so that I can view in full screen.

This sort of material is exactly the sort of digital content teachers should get their hands on more often. The links with science units throughout the key stages should be very clear and could help to teach hot and cold climates right the way through to complex natural selection studies.

>I have also taken the MOUNTAINS clips and produced a GE file to show their location on Earth. See BBS forum for GE file.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Google Earth Lessons Forums Forum Index -> Great Links! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: